Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Serendipity! Love that Synchronicity..

Don't you love it when things start clicking together.. and since you don't believe in mere coincidence, you know that it's all 'ordered' by a benevolent Universe? Yeah, like that..
Me too!

My Master's thesis was the comparison of Carl Jung's dreamwork vs. Freud's view & works. You can imagine the one that I championed. He had me at 'synchronicity'.
Our pals at Wikipedia describe that bit of magic this way..

Synchronicity is a word that Swiss psychologist Carl Jung used to describe the "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events." Jung spoke of synchronicity as an "'acausal connecting principle'" (i.e. a pattern of connection that cannot be explained by direct causality) a "‘meaningful coincidence’" or as an "‘acausal parallelism’".
Put plainly, synchronicity is the experience of two or more occurrences (beyond coincidentally) in a manner that is logically meaningful- but inexplicable- to the person or persons experiencing them. Such events would also have to suggest an underlying pattern in order to satisfy the definition of synchronicity as developed by Jung.
It differs from mere coincidence in that synchronicity implies not just a happenstance, but an underlying pattern or dynamic that is being expressed through meaningful relationships or events.

Ta da! As metaphysicians, we begin not only enjoying these 'aha!' events, but begin anticipating them. And they never fail to appear. Utter coolness.
And so yesterday when I stumbled (excuse me, was lead to) this nice website www.wisdomteachers.com , I signed up for their newsletter (which I encourage all of you to do, as well.. fantastic articles & motivational tools). As a free gift for signing up.. that's right.. more synchronicity.. I was given the most wonderful e-book by a truly inspirational gentleman, Dr. Dennis Merritt Jones. 6 printed pages of sheer genius in truth.
However, don't take my word for it. Check out the site, including Dr. D's own websites: www.DennisMerrittJones.com and www.onespirit.org/church .
Believe me, if I were in Simi Valley, CA., I would be attending those services. Second best is reading his works. So take some time on those sites & tell me what you think..

1 comment:

Angela H said...

I am a true believer in synchronicity. I think it's the world's way of saying, you are on the right track, or, hey, look over here. It is our communication sonar to Universal wisdom. I don't believe anything is by chance, though, at times I think many of us put our responsibility on the back burner and say that situations are coincidence. We create our world as we believe it to be and the only way to make it what we desire is to change our beliefs for our greater good and that requires work, hard work! What do you think?