Friday, March 30, 2007

The Law of Gratitude.. thank you very kindly.

My 1st thought was.. hey, this law is a lot like 'Giving', isn't it? Someone gives you something, you say thank-you.. now you owe them something.. and gifts recycle.
No, that isn't what this is about at all.
Gratitude is in & of itself an energy. You don't have to be given something 'new & unique' to use this Law. Gratitude carries it's own cause & effect, it's own centering device, & it's own blessing.

Remember back when Oprah was in her all-out spiritual phase (before the right wing told her she was screwing w/ their beliefs.. & made her cut back to 1/2 speed. They were happier watching her make Tom Cruise jump on a couch, than making them 'think' about inner growth)
Well, way back then, she suggested a good personal growth tool would be to start a Gratitude Journal.
Each night, we were to write down 5 things we were grateful for that day.
At 1st I thought maybe my list would be pretty repetitive.. good health, good kids, good weather, good home, good goals.
But each night I noticed that my thoughts were expanding beyond the simple 'good' list and I was noticing the fine print in the daily 'beingness' that was was my life.
When I look back through that journal of a year in the life.. I read about some pretty spectacular sunrises & sunsets, as well as violent thunderstorms and piles of snow. I read about my failing marriage.. my success in a new degree.. my weight gain & loss.. my shock & awe of an aging 'self'.. my joys & pains of watching my children grow in so many ways.. & the hopes I had for a new relationship.
And all of this was spelled out in heartfelt Gratitude. The good, the bad, the ugly.. I was grateful for every lesson, every triumph, every loss. It was making me who I am.

When we express our Gratitude to the Universe, it sends that energetic signal that says, 'I get it!' and we find even more to be grateful for.
Expressing Gratitude calms the inner soul and assures us that we really can 'In all things give thanks..'
Knowing that I am God's experience here on earth, that I am unconditionally loved & supported, that everything works together for my good.. how can I not say a great big THANK YOU!
May we always maintain an attitude of gratitude, & keep that energy flowing.

4 comments:

Angela H said...

I have to remind myself how very blessed I truly am. I still get lost in what's wrong, instead of what's right. The latter is so much more constructive. and yes, I do think its an energy...and essence that oozes from your pores.

... said...

Ha, I think it's Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman who says something like, "The bad is easier to believe." It is tough, for whatever reason, to think about the GOOD things in this life. Perhaps because we take them for granted.

I really like the idea of a journal, and I think I'll start one up tonight.

Sande, it was you (so many years ago) who suggested the Self-Esteem Journal. You told me to write down each word of encouragement, or each compliment I received. And I did. Um, I haven't written in it in ages, but I still open it up sometimes to re-read, and it always cheers me up.

Maybe a Gratitude Journal is a way to cheer up the Universe. Because, I would imagine, that whatever God/dess is out there would love to know (just like I loved my journal of nice compliments) that we are paying attention, and we're thankful.

sandegaye said...

I'd forgotten about the Self Esteem journal.. what a powerful tool when we get down on ourselves, or when we just need a pick-me-up. I'll have to get mine out & reread it a time or 2. Good for a Blue Monday, eh?

Julie said...

I really enjoyed reading this... It's a great perspective, a really different paradigm, I think I'll try it for a while! I'll get back w/ you about it! I'm not usually so grateful for the lessons that seem to hurt... but they certainly do teach us so much, :)