Thursday, July 26, 2007

Say what?!

"Law of Speech -- There is power in the spoken word. Thought forms the blueprint for reality, and speaking power into the blueprint brings that thought into the physical world. To say something is to make it real."

My Cherokee mama used to tell me as a child, 'Saying makes it so.'
I'm sure she was hoping that those words might reign in some of my taunts, threats, & general grouchiness. But this is a very true statement.

WORDS HAVE POWER! See? Even putting them in upper-case increases their power.
Our body and mind 'listens' to everything we say. They do not edit or placate or ignore, every single word that we say.
They hear & 'act' on all our messages. (Just as the Universe acts upon our requests)

If we look into the mirror & say, 'I hate my fat butt', or 'I just can't lose weight', or 'who would like someone like me?' Your mind & body take those messages & run w/ them. You will keep that fat butt, not lose any weight, & continue to search for someone to like your sad self.. because those were your spoken words.
I know I have a bad habit of saying 'Poor so&so..'
Those words will keep that person 'poor', if only in my mind. And so I will make a concerted effort not to say that anymore.

This is where positive affirmations come into play. When we make statements that reinforce the things we want to see in our lives.. the mind/body connection links w/ Spirit, & we see them manifested!
Changing the above 3 self-talk statements to.. 'I have a shapely, toned & lovely butt', 'I am at my perfect weight of ___#', & 'I draw positive, loving people into my life'.
Repeating those words w/ conviction & desire.. & voila! they are yours.
Call it magic, call it nonsense, call it 'truth'.. it works.
The change begins in your thoughts.. is proclaimed by your words.. & will manifest in your life.

Try this exercise. Write down a positive affirmation that is personal to you alone, 15 times each evening. Let it be the last thing you say before you go to sleep. After a couple of weeks, see what that thought & spoken word has produced in your life.
The author of the comic strip Dilbert, did this exercise.. asking for a best selling book. And it happened.
You can make it happen too!
Because 'saying makes it so'.

5 comments:

Angela H said...

Oh I love this column. It takes away the victimization we feel sometimes and exchanges it for power to create. I am definitely going to try the night time affirmations and also, simple gratitude is a powerful statement as well. Great ideas.

... said...

I'm going to try the affirmations, too. I'm going to go out today and get a pretty notebook devoted to "positivity" - each night, I'll write & read from it!

Angela H said...

that's a great idea...i like the idea of getting a pretty one that just wreaks of goodness.
life is good when we slow down enough to notice. and i'm talking to myself...

sandegaye said...

Oh! You got me there too.. I was just going to write on a yellow legal tablet. How gauche..
Now I have to look for the nice journal.. & like Loreal says, 'We're worth it'.

... said...

I got a really cool full-size Moleskin tablet that I got for super cheap at a used bookstore (it was new). I really like the routine in writing in it, even if it's just a few scribbles before bed. I know that when I get used to it, I'll write more and more.

Thanks for the idea, SpritWorks!